Re: copyright

Subject: Re: copyright
From: "PICKETT-HARNER, Molly" <MOP1 -at- NIORDS1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 17:33:00 EST

If your work satisfies 3 criteria -- it is *fixed* in a tangible medium; it
is original; it is[minimally at least] creative -- it is automatically
protected by copyright. It does not have to be registered, albeit there are
benefits to so-doing.

Basically, you fill out an application form, designed for the particular
work you wish to copyright, supply an application fee (varies from $10 -
$40, depending upon form required) payable to the Register of Copyrights,
plus a deposit for the Library of Congress, and mail in a <single> package
[important] to:

Register of Copyrights
Copyright Office
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20559

To determine the form you'll need & answer other questions you will have,
call the Copyright Office at (202) 707-3000.

Trademarks are complicated; call/write the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office,
Washington, DC 20231. I can explain the whats/whys, but one often needs an
specialized attorney to process.

It's after 5:00 here, & I'll not be in tomorrow (Tuesday), but will be glad
to answer further/other questions. This should get you started.

Molly Pickett-Harner
mop1 -at- niords1 -dot- em -dot- cdc -dot- gov

From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: copyright
Date: Monday, December 05, 1994 9:46AM

does anyone know how to copyright stuff and how to register a trademark?