Re: Word use: Express/ed (Absurd

Subject: Re: Word use: Express/ed (Absurd
From: "William J. Hartzer" <William -dot- Hartzer -at- EMC2-TAO -dot- FISC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 10:59:00 EST

Arlen writes:
>(BTW, in case you haven't guessed, I think the word is "express" rather than
>"expresed," and that...

Arlen, you're wrong. Look at the original sentence again! The statement says
that you (or anyone else) may not copy it unless you have the written consent
or the (author). If you (or anyone else) are copying it(thus you have
RECEIVED permission from the author prior to your using it), you have received
the EXPRESSED written consent of the author.

The emphasis here is WHEN exactly you received the consent of the author. You
may use it IF you have the expressED permission (the expressing was done in
the past because you are using it now).

If you look again, Arlen, you'll see that the official legal statement is
gramatically correct, based on when the consent is given by the author.

As you remember, Arlen, we use the past tense (like -ED at the and of words)
to express things that happened in the past. (No pun intended).

Look again,
Bill Hartzer (william -dot- hartzer -at- emc2-tao -dot- fisc -dot- com)