Originator of "hypertext"

Subject: Originator of "hypertext"
From: Lisa Baker <LISAB -at- WORDPERFECT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 17:20:24 -0700

Several years ago (1989 or so) I attended a presentation at
IBM's Santa Teresa Lab given by the fellow who originated the
term "hypertext". At the time he was working at Autocad doing
R&D on electronic delivery methods, I think. He talked a lot
about the future of documentation and as I recall described
something like the world-wide-web where you click a hypertext
link and jump to a document a world away. He also talked
about the self-documenting application and likened it to
Pac-Man. The screen tells you everything you need to know.

Does anyone know what this guy's name is? His presentation
impressed me and I wanted to do some more reading on his
work and ideas.

I'm under the impression that he no longer works for Autocad
since I heard they reorganized to focus on their key markets. I'm
also under the impression that he was a colleague of Alan Kay,
at Xerox's 60s Palo Alto Research Park, but I might be wrong
about this.

Thanks.
Lisa Baker lisab -at- wordperfect -dot- com
Master Technical Writer - WordPerfect, Novell Application Group
; The face of a child can say it all, ;
; especially the mouth part of the face. ;