Modems and online doc

Subject: Modems and online doc
From: Ed Westemeier <hopfen -at- IAC -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 19:19:52 -0500

Another couple of data points on recent threads:

Fast modems:
I spend an average of 20-30 minutes per day online, using a direct internet
connection (via PPP) and a couple of online services. For some routine and
scheduled purposes (e.g. downloading files) I can set my computer to
connect in the middle of the night when traffic is low and do it
automatically. Otherwise, I connect when I feel like it; sometimes for a
couple of minutes to check e-mail and sometimes for an hour to surf the
internet. I should mention that I haven't actually turned my Mac off for
several years, so startup time isn't a consideration.
A 14.4 modem costs less than $200 and gives (obviously) many times the
speed of a 2400 modem. IMHO, it's a *very* worthwhile investment (my time
is extremely valuable to me).

Online doc:
The company I'm currently working for went to online CD-ROM doc for cost
reasons, and compounded it by making the price of printed manuals very high
to discourage orders. The printed manuals were little more than reformatted
online docs, without even an index. Despite the cost, many people ordered
them anyway. Others simply complained (loudly).
The result is that while online doc is still the primary delivery vehicle,
the price of printed manuals has been lowered substantially, and indexes
have been added. The company is listening, but we still have some way to go
before we'll be able to truly satisfy customers in this regard.

| Ed Westemeier Cincinnati, Ohio hopfen -at- iac -dot- net |