Re: Mosaic as an online Help documentation viewing engine

Subject: Re: Mosaic as an online Help documentation viewing engine
From: lmann -at- TELERAMA -dot- LM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 20:26:35 -0500

Laurie Rubin (lmr -at- syl -dot- nj -dot- nec -dot- com) wrote:
> Has anyone noticed a security problem when a user
> accesses on-line documentation (in particular, on-line help) via the internet?
> When I suggested looking into the option of using the internet as an access
> method for the Help documentation (click on the Help button and the software
> opens an internet browser to a particular URL), I got blasted away by the
> engineers with "security hole"!

Your idea is sound. There's at least two ways to "secure" it:

1. You can have an HTTPD server that isn't attached
to the Internet "at large." It might depend on how
your internal network is set up, but it isn't impossible.

2. There's a way to limit access on "regular" servers by
the IP address of user. Since a single site typically
has a cluster of IP addresses in use, this shouldn't be
that hard to set up either (a mere matter of programming).

Frankly, I think most networked on-line help and doc systems will migrate
to be browser-based over the next few years.

--
****Laurie Mann * * lmann -at- telerama -dot- lm -dot- com * * Laurie.Mann (GEnie)****
******** Telerama Home Page: http://www.lm.com/~lmann/ **************