No place for ads

Subject: No place for ads
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 08:48:49 MST

> "John M. Gear" <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM> wrote, in response to
> Kelly Graham's post about his/her father's book:

> Inappropriate? Why, *what* gave you that idea??????? Oh, contraire. I'm
> sure every one of the over 1000 members of this list really subscribed so
> that people with something to sell have another way to reach them. I know
> that after a long day screening out ads in the newspaper, professional
> journals, mail, telephone calls and people knocking on doors, I get a little
> lonesome if there's no advertising on the internet! I think of it as my
> privilege to pay for internet access so that people can try to sell things
> to me!

> etc.

Ooooh. John really fired back. I saw the inapproriateness of the
book plug as well, and John's reply made me wonder about
something:

I normally cite the book(s) I use as reference material when
responding to topics in this forum, especially if I quote
directly from the text. Once I even used training materials from
a course, so I cited the course provider in that case. Is this
being perceived by *anyone* as being a plug or sales pitch for
the items I cite? That is certainly NOT my intention. I believe
that I've been doing the proper (and legal) thing by citing