Because v As

Subject: Because v As
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 07:58:20 MST

> Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM> wrote:

> And would anyone care to throw in the use of "as" as synonymous with
> "because"? I have heard virulent opponents of this use, but it sound perfectly
> right to me. Is there a rule I don't know about?

> As in:
> "As we have not yet implemented the code, we cannot confirm your bug
> report."

One of my reference books says this about using "as":

"The best writing avoids *as* in the sense of 'because' to
prevent the reader from stumbling, for example, in the sentence
'He couldn't hear the ambulance siren as he was listening to the
car radio.' The *as* phrase could mean 'because' he was
listening or 'during the time' he was listening, depending on
the context."

Beverly Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil