Re: Robohelp training- Atlanta

Subject: Re: Robohelp training- Atlanta
From: John Russell <johnr -at- BRS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 12:10:16 EST

> I think WordBasic has some memory leaks or resource leaks. It's a good
> idea periodically to save everything and get right out of Word and
> windows, then reload.

Yes. I've been using WB for awhile now, and I can't seem to figure out how
to free allocated memory. If I'm writing and testing a macro that allocates
space for and uses a number of variables, after awhile my system resources
get pretty low and I have to close Word and Windows, and sometimes find
that it's a good idea even to reboot.

I was using Robo this morning and noticed that after defining a number
of non-scrolling regions in one of my files (I did about 30 in a row),
I received the WB error "Too many files open. Close some files and try
again." The number of files I had open: 1 (one). My config.sys: files=100,
buffers=40, so I have plenty of room. WB (i.e. Robo) obviously wasn't
relinquishing some space.

> virtual memory settings are proper for your system. I'm running a 486/66
> with 16 megs RAM and it's performing reliably for me, so I'm confident
> your problem can be resolved.

I'm running a 486/50 with 8 megs RAM, but I don't come across these problems
too often, only when what I'm doing is very intense, and even then, only
when I've been doing it for a long time.

--

kjr
johnr -at- lurch -dot- brs -dot- com

|/ K. John Russell \|
| Dataware Technologies, Inc. | Your superior intellect is no match
| 5 Computer Drive South | for our puny weapons!
| Albany, New York 12205 |
|\ (518) 437-4025 /| - The Simpsons