Re: Basic rules of technical writing

Subject: Re: Basic rules of technical writing
From: CJBenz <cjbenz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 15:58:08 -0500

On 21 Dec 1994, Laurie Mann wrote:

>I wholeheartedly agree with 1, 2, and 3.

>I disagree with 4, depending on the context. If I'm writing a "fluffy"
>science fiction story, I can play with number 4 quite a bit.
>However, if I'm writing technical documentation, it's got to be
>technically correct. It may be oversimplified, perhaps, depending on
>the audience or on my own understanding of the subject. But it can't
>be delibertaly wrong.

Hmm, a good point on science fiction, although I *was* thinking primarily
of nonfiction. Looking over my original list, I can't seem to figure out
if "technically correct" can rank absolutely. What if I revised #4 to:
4. Make it technically correct. If that interferes with Rule 1, 2, or 3,
make sure you have a darn good reason.
Chris Benz
Author, Technical Writer, Computer Trainer
6229438 -at- mcimail -dot- com
"You learn something new every day--whether you want to or not."