Re: Basic rules of technical writing

Subject: Re: Basic rules of technical writing
From: CJBenz <cjbenz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 16:45:08 -0500

On Wed, 21 Dec 1994, Beverly Parks wrote:

>Hi, Chris. I liked your Golden Rules until I got to rule 3. This
>seems to allow the writing to be consistently, grammatically
>INCORRECT. Why not make it grammatically correct, then
>consistent?

Hmm, I think you're the first person who didn't like on e of the
first three rules. Everyone seems to hang on #4.

Anyway: Because grammatical correctness can get in the way of
understandability. Consistency rarely does. This reminds me of
Winston Churchill's response to being reprimanded for not
following the "Don't end a sentence with a preposition" rule:

"That is the most ridiculous thing of which I have ever heard."

Chris Benz
Author, Technical Writer, Computer Trainer
6229438 -at- mcimail -dot- com
"You learn something new every day--whether you want to or not."