Re: Indices in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Indices in FrameMaker
From: lmann -at- TELERAMA -dot- LM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 16:20:27 -0500

>Shannon Tribich (shannont -at- tortosa -dot- templar -dot- net) wrote:
> >Robert Crews <robertc -at- amcc -dot- com> writes:
> >To set the record straight regarding FrameMaker and indices for
> >those of you who are not using FrameMaker, FrameMaker does not
> >have a built-in index generator.
> I'm not sure I know what you mean. I've been using FrameMaker to
> generate indexes for years. I just put in the markers where I
> want the entries, name the entries and FrameMaker automatically
> generates the index when I tell it to. I think it does a great job.

Robert was not particularly clear. You can certainly use
FrameMaker to produce/format indexes. A person still needs to add
those hits to the documents. And you're right, that FrameMaker
does a great job. Later in his posting, Robert says:

> >I've seen a couple different index programs for FrameMaker, and
> >I'm not impressed. I have not found a program that will do
> >what a talented, human indexer can do.

I'm a big believer in indexing. It's going to take a really
powerful AI program to replace a human indexer. Merely selecting
keywords or grabbing terms from headings is completely inadequate.
And putting the associated page numbers of ALL keywords in an Index
can include many meaningless hits.

--
****Laurie Mann * * lmann -at- telerama -dot- lm -dot- com * * Laurie.Mann (GEnie)****
******** Telerama Home Page: http://www.lm.com/~lmann/ **************