Re: Help needed with Home Pages

Subject: Re: Help needed with Home Pages
From: lmann -at- TELERAMA -dot- LM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 08:28:57 -0500

jcurran -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com wrote:
> In <sf02a6f2 -dot- 030 -at- WPOSMTP -dot- METC -dot- DOE -dot- GOV>, MSANDE -at- wposmtp -dot- metc -dot- doe -dot- gov writes:
> >Is there anyone out there who may be able to give me some
> >information or guidance as to how to start a Home Page on
> >the Internet?
> You need access to an HTTP server. Your best bet is probably to hook up
> with an Internet Service Provider, like netcom, who can put the pages
> you create out on the Internet.

This is not completely correct. You CAN put Web pages at an
FTP site and NOT have an HTTP server. (You can check out
ftp://grand.central.org/afs/transarc.com/ or
ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/nvolmon/vreadme.html for examples
of Web pages at FTP sites.) An HTTP server is a good
idea, of course, but it isn't mandatory.

The main issue is you need an area that is ACCESSIBLE FROM THE
OUTSIDE WORLD. Random files on random machines are not
accessible. But files stored on FTP or HTTP servers are.

--
****Laurie Mann * * lmann -at- telerama -dot- lm -dot- com * * Laurie.Mann (GEnie)****
******** Telerama Home Page: http://www.lm.com/~lmann/ **************