Re: Length of Help Context ID

Subject: Re: Length of Help Context ID
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 15:08:37 -0800

> How does the length of Context IDs affect performance of
> a help system?

> I called tech support for Robohelp and they were not sure.

> Thanks

> Sandy Eady

I'm not sure that the length of context id's would affect the
performance at all. Since the help file is compiled, you can
assume that the context id is manipulated into an internal
pointer of some sort and that the physical length of the
uncompiled string or number is irrelevant to the internal
operation of the file.

I've seen some context strings linked to context numbers
mapped to aliases (created by programmers) that run just fine!
You'd never know there was all that garbage in the way after
you compile the file and link it to the application!

Sue Gallagher
Technical Writer
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com