Re: time stamp or timestamp?

Subject: Re: time stamp or timestamp?
From: "Ash Nallawalla, VK3CIT" <ash -at- TESTBOX -dot- APANA -dot- ORG -dot- AU>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 12:31:52 +1100

Gail DeCamp <decampg -at- smtplink -dot- ngc -dot- com> writes:

> question. Do most of you spell it "time stamp" or "timestamp"? We've
> seen it both ways.

This is similar to the filename|file name or username| user name
options. I'd go for the two words in generic usage but if I
were documenting a programming tool that had used the combined
version as a variable name I'd resign myself to use it.

Some programmers tend to use the composite word because they are used
to naming variables as one word. When I have a debate about this,
I ask them "Why filename but not directoryname, or subdirectoryname?"

PS - I read this list as a newsgroup, so if it did not reach the
newsgroup please let me know (via E-mail). Please tell me the
correct address for the list and I'll also notify the site that
carries this as a newsgroup.

--
Are you a volunteer in a computer user group? Then subscribe to the User