Re: Wordsmithing

Subject: Re: Wordsmithing
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 07:08:52 MST

> Rick Lippincott said

>> Although, I must admit, the synonomous phrase "weasel wording" was a tad more
>> popular.

I hear "wordsmith" a lot around where I work. I don't think the
general meaning as used here would be synonomous with "weasel
wording." To me, "weasel wording" has a definite negative
connotation. "Wordsmithing," however, appears to be the
non-editors', non-writers' way to say "Now make it right and
proper."

I will admit that "wordsmithing" is not seen as something that
should be in the forefront of worries when developing a document.
For example, I was part of a group that was developing a large
presentation. In addition to being an active member of the group
as an SME, I also had the "side duty" of performing "quality
assurance" on the final product. However, if I attempted to
correct grammar and sentence structure as documents were being
written, someone would say "we can wordsmith it later."

Beverly Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil