Wordsmithing

Subject: Wordsmithing
From: Sherri Hall <shall -at- HILCO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 17:07:59 CST

Laura Johnson said:

> I don't know if "wordsmith" is widely used anywhere but here; I certainly
> don't think it's a real word.

Rick Lippincott added:

> I've heard that word used for about ten years now. I first encountered it (as
> nearly as I can recall) while working at an aerospace company. <stuff cut>
> Although, I must admit, the synonomous phrase "weasel wording" was a tad more
> popular.

I, too, heard the word about 10 years ago while working at an aerospace
company. Hmmmm. The speaker was bragging about my "talents" to
my boss. While I appreciate anyone who toots a horn for me, especially
in front of management, I'm
generally opposed to "wordsmithing" as a description of what I do
because it represents a small part of the value-added work I do.
--
Sherri Hall * "No passion in the world is equal to the passion
shall -at- hilco -dot- com * to alter someone else's draft." H.G. Wells