Re: SGML Temp. Job (RTP, NC)

Subject: Re: SGML Temp. Job (RTP, NC)
From: CJBenz <cjbenz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 11:18:12 -0500

Mike Uhl wrote:
> I am duty-bound as the Carolina Chapter, STC Job Bank Manager to
> announce that there is a contract technical "writing" position available
> in Raleigh, NC. The job involves composing documents in SGML. The pay
> ranges from $10-12 per hour.

And then Laurie Mann responded:
>Ummm...why are you "duty-bound" to announce jobs that pay abysmally
>low? Shouldn't you set a floor rate and refuse to post jobs that
>fall below the floor?

My opinion:
Hmm, Laurie, this sounds a bit elitist. This may be a very *good* rate for
someone, especially if the cupboard is bare. Also, a recent college
graduate, someone who wants to freshen up his or her SGML skills, or
someone who just wants to get a foot in the door may see this as a great
opportunity. Money is not the only reason for working. If it was, I'd be a
lawyer or a salesman.

Mike, keep it up!

Chris Benz
Author, Technical Writer, Computer Trainer
6229438 -at- mcimail -dot- com
"You learn something new every day--whether you want to or not."