Re: health insurance for contractors

Subject: Re: health insurance for contractors
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 12:02:42 -0800

Contact the Better Busines Bureau (not the Chamber of Commerce). The BBB
has a special Kaiser-Permanente membership rate for small business BBB
members.
====================
At 9:36 AM 12/27/94 -0600, Kathryn Seifert wrote:
>I work as a contractor and thus do not receive health insurance from my

>employer. I am becoming more and more concerned about this, especially as
>I have an un-insured friend who had an accident recently and ended up paying

>$10,000 out of his own pocket for medical expenses! My lack of health insurance
> is about
>the only reason I have considered taking a full-time position with a company.

> I have checked into several different companies (such as Blue Cross) to find
> out about
>their individual health insurance plans, but they seem to be either
>exorbitantly
> expensive
>($200+/month for a 30-year old female - and that's WITHOUT maternity coverage)
> or have
>exceedingly high deductibles ($1000-2000 is not uncommon).

>Could anyone out there provide some pointers to how to find affordable,
> reasonable health
>insurance for the self-employed? Unfortunately (well, I usually think of it as
> fortunately) I
>am not married - so I have no spouse's insurance to attach myself to.

>Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

>kathryn seifert
>seiferk -at- us -dot- il -dot- swissbank -dot- com

Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"Better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six"