Re: project/time tracking

Subject: Re: project/time tracking
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 16:53:52 -0700

Sherri Hall asked about a practical, cheap/free online tracking system for
tracking documentation projects.

I have, unfortunately, no experience with UNIX systems, so I don't know
what might specifically apply. The company I did my internship with last
year created a set of tracking forms. Each project had its own page. We
had to fill out the dates and no. of hours spent on a regular
basis--preferably daily. In addition, each aspect of the project had it's
own form and work number which was recorded on our timesheets. Thus, we
not only documented our efforts in the department, but the bookkeeper for
the company also tracked our involvement.

ISTM that something like this could be set up on a data base--or even a
spreadsheet with very little trouble.

I have also seen computers set up to record and keep track of time spent
by individual users at a given sitting. It ought to be possible to work
with something of this sort to log in and out of various projects and
track the time spent.

Also there are scheduling and project management programs available.
Perhaps one of these might provide a possible solution.

RoMay Sitze A musician must make music, an artist must
rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu paint, a poet must write, if he is to be
ultimately at peace with himself.
-Abraham Maslow-