Re: page breaks

Subject: Re: page breaks
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 15:39:23 -0800

Sherri Hall ask when to force page breaks. Well...

I used to work at a company where the production editors forced
a page break every time a level 2 heading started in the bottom
1/3 of the page. I *really* didn't like this -- thought it was
way too inconsistant -- made it look like you just forgot to
start level 2's at page top. If you're sure that all your level
2's are long enough to span a full spread, you can force a page
break before each one and that looks OK.

I force a page break to avoid splitting a table that will fit
on a single page. (sometimes I move the table so that I don't
leave too much white space)

I don't like to split a paragraph if it's less than 6 or 7
lines long... And that's most of them in my books.

I hate to split up a step, even if it spans multiple paragraphs
that are only two or three lines each, so I'll force a page break
-- again, unless it leaves way too much white space.

I force a page break if the last line on the page would end in
a colon (usually).
And that's all I can think of off the top of my head (and it's
been raining here, so the top of my head's a little soggy!) %-)

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com