Acceptable pay levels?

Subject: Acceptable pay levels?
From: Kelly Kremin <kellyk -at- CYBEROPTICS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 12:38:24 LCL

Last year (early 94) I left one job for another, here are some real
numbers I remember coming up during my job search:

- Open position for a medical software writer offering
$25,000 & requiring 2+ yrs exp.

- I interviewed with a fitness equipment manufacturer. I was very
interested until I learned the pay range: $21,000 - $26,000.

- A small software co. advertised for a writer. I called,
they were looking to pay $21,000. They wanted a couple years of
experience. I immediately said I wasn't interested & the HR person &
I had a frank discussion about how low that salary *really* was.
This company now advertises for a "Junior Tech Writer" on a fairly
regular basis (4 times over the last 12 months).

- Before moving into another field a software tech writer I know with
about 5yrs experience was making $35,000.

I don't know how this compares to what others in the Twin Cities know.
Seems to me what the 1st 3 employers thought was acceptable was way,
way, way too low.

Happily & eventually I found a co. that was willing to negotiate & I
got what I wanted.