Re: <pPopulate as a verb for "fill in"

Subject: Re: <pPopulate as a verb for "fill in"
From: Laurie Rubin <lmr -at- SYL -dot- NJ -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 10:53:34 -0500

"Populate" is a techy term; where is the word commmon (excepts perhaps to
software and scientific techies and maybe sociologists)? If your users are
software developers,etc., and/or the document has been successfully used by
your users, you might accept keeping the term in. I say "might," because you
may want to contact a few current users (techies or otherwise), if possible,
and get some feedback from them -- what were their initial reactions to the
word, do the current users think new users will understand the word, etc.

If the users cover a general population, or have less technical savvy than the
above scenario, you may try to justify changing the entire paragraph by
explaining that "populate" is not a "common" term except in certain fields.
Furthermore, even if current users understand the term, new users may not find
the word very "common".

Laurie