Either/or - keep it parallel

Subject: Either/or - keep it parallel
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 11:11:10 IST

What's more important grammatical exactness or readability?

** Now there's an irritating question, but in this case a moot one. What you
consider more readable in this case is also better grammar. What follows
"either" and what follows "or" should be grammatically parallel.

RIGHT:
Entries are either alphanumeric strings
or a choice between several preset strings.

RIGHT:
Entries either are alphanumeric strings
or are a choice between several preset strings.
(but who can say "or are a" without sounding like the neighbor's dog?)

WRONG:
Entries either are alphanumeric strings
or a choice between several preset strings.
||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| If God intended 1 space between sentences, why do we have 2 thumbs? ||