Motivating Developers

Subject: Motivating Developers
From: Sherri Hall <shall -at- HILCO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 14:56:20 CST

> My boss and I would like some advice on motivating development personnel to
> provide the necessary information to create documentation.

The best motivator I've ever seen is when MANAGEMENT makes documentation tasks
(either writing, contributing to or reviewing it) a part of the developer's
job description. That is, it's a part of the job on which s/he is
evaluated. Bad evaluations = little or no raises. Of course,
this only works if management follows through. In my case, they did. The
super-neat benefit is that it raises
documentation to be as important as the software itself. That alleviates
a lot of problems!
--
Sherri Hall * "No passion in the world is equal to the passion
shall -at- hilco -dot- com * to alter someone else's draft." H.G. Wells