Re: Resume Design Principles

Subject: Re: Resume Design Principles
From: Lisa Steinberg <aa075 -at- SEORF -dot- OHIOU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 1995 13:01:04 -0500

> Lisa Steinberg says:
> > I have two resumes. One geared toward editing jobs, the
> > other geared toward any job I could get my hands on.

> I am wondering if you would mind elaborating on ways in which to
> differentiate between the two versions of your resume. I teach a tech
> writing class at NMSU and will be covering such topics in my class. I'm
> always on the lookout for fresh ideas. Thanks.

> RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu

> You can't solve a problem unless you first admit you have one.
> --Harvey Mackay in _Swim with the Sharks_

Hello RoMay and all...

I'd be happy to elaborate on the two resume styles I use. As background,
I received the suggestion for the two resumes from an English prof that I
greatly respect.

Resume 1: The Writer's Resume

The suggestion was to emphasise my campus experience as a writer/editor
because I had little employment experience in this field. Right after the
education section of my resume, I created a nice, long, bullited list of
my ACTIVITIES (what I named the section). These included items such as:
writer for the campus paper, associate editor for an academic journal, and
last but not least the fact that I'm a certified scuba diver. Of course,
this resume received the most second looks because the section kind of
stood-out among the other standard resume *stuff*. It is definitely how I
got the job I have now. If I knew that the job I was applying for would
require a great-deal of writing/editing/computer skills, I would send them
this resume. Oh yeah, I even got a meeting with a trade magazine
editor in Cleveland one summer based on this resume. Though they
weren't hiring at the time, the meeting was a boost to my ego!

Resume 2: The I'm-Unemployed-Looking-for-ANY-Job Resume

My prof said that I should keep the standard resume format that I started
with for those job-ads that are vague about their needs. I worked at
several impressive Fortune 500 companies, though mostly in grunt
positions, and those jobs were emphasized in this resume. I still
included an ACTIVITIES section, but not in list form. Each activity was
stated one right after the other with a bullit between them so that it
looked like a paragraph when I was done. I assumed the audience for this
resume would be people who might be more impressed with work-experience as
opposed to my campus life.

Any questions?

lisa
:)

* lisa steinberg :) *
* Grantswriter for Rural Action *
* A non-profit sustainable community development *
* organization based in: *
* Athens, Ohio *
* aa075 -at- seorf -dot- ohiou -dot- edu *
* Volunteer in Service to America and proud of it! *