HTML: Associating Clickable Images

Subject: HTML: Associating Clickable Images
From: Nancy Hoft - CONTRACTOR HRIS <nhoft -at- MICMAC -dot- EAST -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 21:04:00 GMT

I am creating an online library using MOSAIC and HTML. I want
the user interface of the first page (sort of a "home page" for the online
library) to be as graphical as possible. I want it to work much
like a dialogue. The user clicks on an image representing the type of
documentation he/she wants to read (reference doc or user doc). Then the user
clicks on the image representing the object he/she wants to read about
(database, operating system, whatever...).

This dialogue would choose a "mode" for the user: technically or task-oriented.
THe user could change the mode at any time (no forced information paths).

My question is: Is this sort of thing possible to code with HTML? If not, is it
possible at all? Do I need to write a PERL script or something to do it?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Nancy Hoft