Re: Functional Resume

Subject: Re: Functional Resume
From: "Frank Saucier [Tech Pub]" <frank_saucier -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 11:36:24 -0500

> What's the "current wisdom" on functional resumes? Not very long ago I
> was told to avoid them, because they raised a red flag with hiring people
> who assumed that a functional resume was being used to cover up a lack of
> experience. I just got a resume book this week which seemed to be
> perfectly comfortable with a functional resume under certain
> circumstances, and the inclusion of the topic here in the resume
> discussion raised my curiosity. Have functional resumes been "rehabilitated"?

> i Christie

I've used a one page functional resume for a little over five years.
Occasionally people have asked me when I did something that is listed on my
resume, but that gives me an opportunity to explain what I did as well as when
(the real key to a good interview). I do remember one phone interview where the
gentleman asked me if I had a "real" resume. I assume he meant "chronological",
but then again he also asked me the how fast I can type.

I organize my functional resume as follows. I'd be willing to fax anybody a
copy if they want to get a better idea of what I try to show below.

-------------------------------

SUMMARY

Over five years of Technical Writing experience ... blah blah blah

Systems Used:

Software Used:

Awards Received:

Member of:

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

Four or five accomplishments listed in bulleted paragraphs. Three sentences
per paragraph. What did I accomplish? How did I accomplish it? What were the
results?

EDUCATION

Degree, University, I list my GPA, but not when I graduated

EXPERIENCE

Company, Where located, From when to when

Frank

| FRANK SAUCIER | |
| Mentor Graphics Corp. | Hippity-Hops and stairs don't mix. |
| fsaucier -at- warren -dot- mentorg -dot- com | |