Ventura 4.1

Subject: Ventura 4.1
From: "Dave L. Meek's User Account" <dave -at- DISC-SYNERGY -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 15:58:17 -0800

If you're not a Ventura user, you may want to delete this post.

My original post asked how to create a black ruling line above a
shaded bar with text. The following is a summary of the

Instead of using the graphics tool to make your shaded bar, use
the frame tool. Use Frame Background for the fill and Ruling
Line Above and Ruling Line Below for your lines.--Susan Sellew

Make three frames. The top and bottom frames are the depth of
your black line. Now, just fill them with black. Your middle
frame is shaded with your text attribute.--Johanna Manning

1. Create a table that goes from margin to margin.
2. Turn off all the rulling lines for the table.
3. Put in your text.
4. Use the Set Tint option from the Table menu. (Choose black
as the colour and then choose the pattern.)
5. Manually apply a ruling line (a single black line) to the top
of the table.
You can change column and row settings and/or merge cells to
get the size of bar you need.--Catrin Hughes

I want to thank all of you for your help. While experimenting
with Ventura, I found yet another method that uses two paragraph
tags on one line. One tag is for the text and shaded bar
attributes (heading), the other is for the black ruling line
above (follow).

My *heading* tag has the following attributes: 1) Font is Times
New Roman, bold, 18 points; 2) Ruling Line Above, width is
column, yellow (prints gray from B&W printer)//User Defined Style
= space below rule 3 is -1,08 picas//height of rule one is 2,03
picas.

My *follow* tag has the following attributes: 1) Ruling Line
Above, width is column, black, User Defined Rule Style = space
below rule 3 is 0,10 picas // height of rule one is 0,02 picas //
column; 2) under the Paragraph Menu, Breaks is set as--Page
break-No, Column break-No, Line break-No, Next Y position-No,
Allow within-Yes, Keep with next-No.

With those settings, my *heading* tag creates a gray-shaded, column
wide bar over my text. My *follow* tag is on the same line and
overwrites my gray-shaded bar. They live beside each other in
... peaceful coexistence.

Once created, they're easy to reuse. Because they're
paragraph tags, using them is little more than a press of the
return key and a click of the mouse button. You can use the
same idea to create multiple lines of varying lengths for
placement anywhere in your documentation. And each tag is fully
adjustable for attributes such as color, font, etc.

Thanks again! Hope this long-winded post helps someone!
--Dave
Dave Meek