Re: Copyright violations

Subject: Re: Copyright violations
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 12:26:29 -0700

On Tue, 31 Jan 1995 marymd -at- halcyon -dot- com wrote:

> I saw your posting about Tufte's charts on Techwr-L and it seems to me you
> have violated his copyright by scanning and posting these images. I would
> strongly suggest that you send mail apologizing and remove the images from the
> locations you mentioned.

Thank you for your attempts at playing Netcop. I don't believe that Tufte
holds a copyright on the image created by someone in 1869. I'm sure that
neither of the charts is his "intellectual property", as they were created by
other people and only used by him for illustrative purposes. Both charts
came from a handout he used at a talk and they carried neither notice of
copyright nor attribution of source. There may be a copyright attached to one
of the images, but I have checked the book in which another version of the
"Napoleon's march" image appeared and can find no copyright information for
that image. At any rate, I put them up for the edification of those members
of techwr-l who expressed an interest in seeing them and I plan to remove
them in a few days, once that purpose has been served. I sincerely doubt that
either image is going to end up on a t-shirt as a result of any action on my
part. Perhaps you'd care to elaborate on how I've infringed on Mr. Tufte's
intellectual property rights. Did you even look to see what the images
were, or did you just leap to a conclusion without any investigation?

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.