Process Modeling--Call for Help

Subject: Process Modeling--Call for Help
From: Matthew Wong <wong -at- ACEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 15:44:52 EST

Friends,

Not so long ago there was a thread about what techwriters do? Well,
generally, we do what programmers don't want to do. And I have been
tasked to do one of these things: Process Modeling--that is, I am supposed
to come up with Processes and Data Flow diagrams for the systems they
develop.

I am asking for help because I have only flirted with Process Modeling, and
that was many moons ago. what I know about Process Modeling is minimal:
that it involves drawing diagrams to capture the functionality and data flow of
a system; that there are various methodologies: Yourdon/Demarco, Gane &
Sarson, etc.; andthe diagrams' complexity reflects on the depth I want to
capture. In addition, I'm using a software package called System Architect.

Because my limited expertise in this endeavor, I'm hoping some of you out
there can help me with:

1. finding a good book on Process Modeling (preferably a short one with lots
of pictures and short words),

2. using System Architect,

3. asking my superiors the right questions about what I'm supposed to do.

Thank you. You can reply to my address below. However, because I'm
probably not the only tech writer stuck with doing this, others on the list
may be interested.

Matthew (wong -at- acec -dot- com)