Tech Book Deal Details

Subject: Tech Book Deal Details
From: lti -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 17:53:03 GMT

Hello -

I am in the process of submitting a technical book to various publishers. I am
new to the techwriting industry (my background is in videogame software
development) and was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of what to
expect when (and if) I go to the negotiating table.

I need a sense of the the advance/royalty rates one can expect. Also, how long
is an author usually given to complete the book? Do the publishers
generally handle all of the art, figures, and photographs, or is the author
supposed to create these?

Also - are there any good books out there that discuss both the business and
craft of professional technical writing?

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can supply!

Best Regards,

Mike.