Re: paperless?

Subject: Re: paperless?
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 10:26:48 -0700

On Tue, 31 Jan 1995, Richard Lippincott wrote:

> There is a distinct difference in the writing style between "ear copy" and
> "read copy" writing styles. This is something that is taught to broadcast
> journalism students. The reason is that when reading, the eye can pause
> over words, the receiver (reader) can control the rate at which the
> information flows from the page/screen into the brain. When listening, that
> infomration rate is controlled by the sender.

snip

> We're trained in clear communication, but I have a hunch most of us aren't up
> for having our manuals translated directly to audio. I could be wrong: give
> it a try. Read a procedure to a person unfamiliar with your product, see if
> they comprehend as well as if they had a written page.

This reminds me of a technique I use with my technical communications
students. When a student is having difficulty with a paper, I ask them to
read it aloud--or I read it to them and ask them to comment on what they
hear. It can be eye-opening.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu

You can't solve a problem unless you first admit you have one.
--Harvey Mackay in _Swim with the Sharks_