Re: Amber vs Orange

Subject: Re: Amber vs Orange
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 15:46:57 PST

Carl writes:

> On a control panel are 20 indicators: two are green; 18 are (not green).
> The green indicators are, of course, illuminated during normal operation.
> Each of the other indicators is illuminated when something goes wrong.
<snip>
> Should I use "orange" or "yellow" instead of "amber?" There are no
> other indicator colors on the equipment, so there will be no confusion
> between these and any other indicators. But I'd prefer to provide the
> correct English (American?) word and include it in the translator's
> glossary.

Isn't "amber" actually a yellowish brown color? <grin>

Seriously, if I were you, I would have a hard time deciding. Are the
ESL users people who would be offended if you used "yellow" or
"brown" instead of "amber?" You could also use "amber" and explain
the simple language in parens after the first usage.

(The reason I asked about being offended is that I write docs that
are largely read by research scientists -- folks who can
occasionally get a bit peeved if you "talk down to them." ) Again,
if the user is just a regular old person like you and me, the simple
language would work just fine. I don't have a user guide handy, but
you might want to check (for example) an Apple LaserWriter user
guide (I know they have both flashing and illuminated green and
amber lights).

Good luck!!

Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com