Re: Tech Writing Compensation

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Compensation
From: Stuart Selber <sselber -at- HUBCAP -dot- CLEMSON -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 15:03:41 -0500

Ron sez:
> As a rule, tech writers aren't compensated very well when compared to
> programmers or other high-skilled professionals.

> The trouble is that we have to take programs that are often poorly designed
> and document in spite of this. I think we should be paid better specifically
> because of this.

> What do other's think? Are we compensated well, as compared to the
> development folks or other highly skilled professionals?

We had folks visiting this week from IBM Boca Raton and they discussed
a new pay scale there that rewards usability testers and other
information developers as much as coders...Not sure how pervasive this
is, though.

Stuart
Stuart A. Selber
Department of English
Clemson University 803-656-1677 (voice)
Strode Tower, Box 341503 803-656-1345 (fax)
Clemson, SC 29634-1503 sselber -at- hubcap -dot- clemson -dot- edu

http://marvin.clemson.edu (MAPC Program/under major construction)
http://www.clemson.edu (Clemson University)