Re: Tech Writing Skills

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Skills
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 09:22:24 EST

Bob (bhandlin -at- chipcom -dot- com) wrote, in defense of having both technical and
writing skills:

> If you're a tekkie who can't write, or a writer who can't "tech,"
> please don't argue that the employers are wrong-headed in their
> approach. Go out and get the skills that they're asking for!!!

I don't disagree with Bob's premise that technical writers need to have a broad
base of skills. What I would like to clarify is that I think sometimes a
prejudice exists in employers as to who qualifies as "techie." I have seen
technical writer positions that require an engineering degree or experience
coding software. I have neither, but I think I have proven that I can
understand and communicate a very broad base of technical information. In
essence, sometimes the restrictions seem arbitrary. Perhaps, as others point
out, this is necessary to cull resumes. That's just tough to remember when the
job looks interesting and I know I could do it!

Karla McMaster, technical writer
CTI PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com