Re: User vs. Reference

Subject: Re: User vs. Reference
From: "George F. Taylor" <gtaylor3 -at- CALSTATELA -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 10:01:42 -0600

John - Thanks for contributing the definitions for User vs. Reference manuals,
however, I believe that the classifications limit our ability to serve our
users. Any form of communication - manual, handout, on-line file,
etc. - should contain any information (concepts or procedures) that the
user needs to complete their task. If you establish the criteria for a manual
based on traditional methods rather than the users' needs, you automatically
limit the usability of the manual. - George