Re: Overuse of Bulleted Lists

Subject: Re: Overuse of Bulleted Lists
From: "George F. Taylor" <gtaylor3 -at- CALSTATELA -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 18:51:57 -0600

I try to use Information Mapping (tables) instead of bulleted lists. Each
item that would normall be bulleted stands by itself, and the table provides
the collective environment. The method also forces me to position items more
effectively, and delete extraneous material. - George

>I have worked with editors and writers who, whenever >faced with a series
of items, put them in a bulleted list. >This seems to me like the old saw that
to the person >who has only a hammer every problem looks like a nail. >Using
a bulleted list may make individual items in the >series easier to pick out
but may also suggest that the >list is more important than the rest of the
text, which is >not always the case. Any thoughts on this? Does >anyone know
of any applicable research? > >ltw (lowly tech writer)