Re: STC Info, please

Subject: Re: STC Info, please
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 1995 15:04:55 +0001

John,

I've been an STc member for a lot of years, and I find it very useful in
terms of keeping up with what's happening in the field and what other
writers/editors/graphics people are thinking. This list is another way of
doing so.

The benefits of STC membership include the quarterly journal, "Technical
Communication," various other publications of interest, and both local
and international meetings and conferences. Living where you do, the
local meetings part might be difficult, although there is a chapter in
and around Los Alamos. A few chapters now sponsor gopher sites, where you
can get their newsletters and at least one of the Professional Interest
Committee (PIC) newsletters. Those PICs are interesting, too, since they
have no geographic boundaries. Some PICs include Advanced Technology,
Consutants and Entrepreneurs,Internationalization, Scientific Writing, etc.

I personally find the annual conference one of the most stimulating
things to happen in the profession all year. This year's is in D.C.,
April 23-26. Next year's is in Seattle.

STC also maintains a bulletin board, and members can request research in
the archives. You can contact the STC at stc -at- tmn -dot- com or call them at
(703) 522-4114 (VA). Membership is $95/year, and I expect there's an
initiation fee. Rates are lower for students and retirees. Most of the
fee is tax deductible as professional society dues.

There's a lot of energy in this group, but like most associations, you
get from it what you put into it. With electronic communication, there's
no limit imposed by geography. We're about communication; we're about
ideas. Everyone's experience is unique, but I think you might find it
worthwhile, especially if you're relatively isolated up there in Eagle's
Nest. Sounds like a neat place. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Marguerite