Re: Suggested PC Configuration for FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Suggested PC Configuration for FrameMaker
From: "Dan S. Azlin" <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 1995 19:05:19 -0500

On Mon, 30 Jan 1995, Marsha Wolicki wrote:

> I have been working with FrameMaker on a Unix system. I want to use
> FrameMaker on my PC at home. What hardware configuration do I need?

I have been using FM4 for the PC on several machines. My best advise is
to get the fastest CPU possible and the most RAM possible. With a 386/40
and 8MB of RAM you can survive if the document is not too complex or
graphic intensive; but plan on doing a lot of system optimization. A 486
is a better CPU choice (a fast 486DX or 486DX2 would be best) with as
much RAM as you can afford (32MB+ may be a bit extravagent). Pick a good
local bus type moterboard with a local bus enhanced IDE hard disk
controller (a caching type would be nice) and a top of the line local bus
video card with 2MB of VRAM minimum! Nothing less than a 500MB HDD.
If you're thinking pentium, plan on spending big $$ (beware the cut-rate
pentium system at a price too good to be true: it probably has a _very_
buggy CPU).

Dan Azlin ** Word Engineers, Technical Writing & Publishing **
dazlin -at- shore -dot- net