Re: equipment standard?

Subject: Re: equipment standard?
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 09:31:21 -0700

> >I was wondering what kind of hardware most people on this list use.
> >I am having enormous trouble persuading my boss that the equipment I
> >have is not adequate for what he is expecting me to do.
> >I have a 486, 33MHz, 8Meg PC with 14" screen, which doesn't print and
> >gets very slow when I have more than one package open - which is often
> >necessary.

> Wow, I really fell sorry for all the people who have responded to this so far
> (at the least the ones that I have seen). Here I use a Macintosh IIsi, with
18
> Meg Ram, 80 Meg hard drive and space on 4 servers for extra capacity. If I
have

> To all of you DOS folx, maybe its time to look to a real computer, a Macintosh
> ;-).

Seriously. I thought a 486 machine was supposed to be pretty quick. I
also have a Mac IIsi (we're talking at least two generations behind the
Power Macs and [so I thought] roughly equivalent to a 386) on my desk at
work and I frequently run multiple memory-hogging programs with no real
degradation of its initially sluggish performance. I have a new
68040-based Mac at home and it flies with only 8 megs of RAM installed
(doubled to 16 by memory-management software [~$60]).

I've also never had to worry about sound cards, video cards, or any other
assorted bits and pieces of hardware to make my Mac function. But right now,
cards are being released that will upgrade older Macs to Power Macs; you just
slip the card in the Mac's PDS slot and install a control panel and a system
extension (which means you drag them from the disk to the system folder; the
Mac knows where they go from there) and you're up and running again. On
the other hand, it took my girlfriend a day and a half to get a new mouse
to work on her PC.

So when you push for that upgrade, why not push for a Mac? I think you'll
be glad you did.

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.