Re: Tech Writing course, creation of

Subject: Re: Tech Writing course, creation of
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 09:11:45 -0700

On Mon, 6 Feb 1995, Howard Davis wrote:

> My dept. chair has asked me to develop a syllabus and course outline for a
> new tech writing class.

> My intention is to relate some of the course to this particular program and
> to talk to professional tech writers in the area, but I would appreciate
> any suggestions from the members of this list.

I like this idea. It is similar to one I use in my tech writing class.
Early in the semester, I have my students do an interview with either a
professional who writes (chosen from their major field--I get a wide
assortment of students in the class) or a technical writer working for a
company that specializes in a field related to their major. The students
gripe about the task, but when it is over, they have learned a lot about
both the expectations for someone working in the field--and about the
importance of writing skills to professionals.

SPecifically, I would like
> recommendations for textbooks, and I am especially interested in the range of
> approaches used in teaching a tech writing class. Also, I would like to
> rerad copies of course syllabi.

I use two texts: the Brusaw _Handbook_ and Rebecca Burnett's _Technical
Communications_. The Burnett text is excellent. The combination works
well. I also supplement with whatever material seems
appropriate--references to articles in journals, snippets of goodies from
the net, and so on.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu

You can't solve a problem unless you first admit you have one.
--Harvey Mackay in _Swim with the Sharks_