Re: Landscape and portrait in Word 6.0

Subject: Re: Landscape and portrait in Word 6.0
From: Seth Greenberg <SETH -at- ELNICE -dot- NICE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 10:02:06 GT-0200

Sounds like Grant needs a DTP program instead of MS Word.
I've been fighting the "Word-is-good-enough-for-the-kind-of-
documents-we-need" battle since Word 6.0 was released.
With Word 2 it was easy to justify investing into a more
appropriate application for producing long technical documents.
Now that Microsoft is marketing Word 6.0, with it's mile-long list
of new features, as the tool that's just right for everyone, the
people holding the purse-strings don't want to upgrade to proper
DTP tools, such as Framemaker or QuarkXpress.

If we weren't all working in Word, we'd be able to do things like
include landscape text with portrait headers and footers.

I am still working in Word 6.0, and am working on a proposal
to switch to Framemaker. Is there anyone out there who has
recently switched? Was it worth it? Which features should I sell
to my superviors to get them interested in the time and $$ invesment
associated with converting their documentation.

Thanks for letting me vent. And my appologies to Bill Gates. You're
doing a fine job, Bill, just not in DTP.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 14:48:00 CST
From: "Bailey, Doug S" <dsbailey -at- PO4 -dot- PCMAIL -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L

Forfeit the portrait headers and footers, and go with the landscape for
everything. Simplest maneuver.

Doug

----------
>From: TECHWR-L
>To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
>Subject: Landscape and portrait in Word 6.0
>Date: Wednesday, February 15, 1995 11:35AM

>Hi everybody.

>I have a document (document number one) where currently all the pages are
>in portrait. I need to add three new chapters from document number two.
>Problem is, document number two is in landscape, and when I import it
>into the first document, formatting gets screwed up. There are two
>problems: document number two has tables that are too wide for portrait,
>unless I shrink the font way down. Second problem is a header/footer
>problem: I would like to have portrait headers/footers, but landscape
>text, and Word 6.0 can't do it (at least according to Word support).

>Anybody have any suggestions?

>grant

--Seth Greenberg
seth -at- marketing -dot- nice -dot- com
Tel Aviv