Re: Who's the author? Perfect Solution

Subject: Re: Who's the author? Perfect Solution
From: doug montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 12:35:46 PST

By now, I am thoroughly confuddled by this discussion. It seems to
have several main threads:
--claiming ownership of a doc, in the sense of being responsible
for its errors as well as its triumphs;
--the problem of defining authorship in a technological environment
that allows anyone to insert and publish text;
--the separate or overlapping responsibilities of subject matter
experts, technical writers, and editors;
--(as in Vince Putnam's posting) proving one's own contributions to
an otherwise uncredited publication.

If it's so gosh-darn important to put your name somewhere in a
document to prove you wrote it, why not borrow a leaf from
Shakespeare studies and put your name in the doc in _an acrostic
form_ -- like Francis Bacon, the Earl of Southampton, and Kit
Marlowe all supposedly did in Shakespeare's plays? <wink wink
nudge nudge it's a joke son>

Doug_Montalbano -at- cc -dot- chiron -dot- com

<snip, snip>
How about preparing a special page with our byline for our portfolio
documents? It would NOT be published in the company document, nor
discussed with anyone or even approved by our company. It is our
right if we actually wrote the thing from scratch and can prove it in
an interview. OK, lets hear it from the ethical purists.

Vince Putman | Be kind, never have a battle of wits
putmv -at- mail -dot- syntron -dot- com | with the unarmed!
713-647-7139 Houston, TX | Aka, Eschew Gratuitous Obfuscation