Re: WP software???

Subject: Re: WP software???
From: "Johnson, Mike C. @ SLG" <MCJOHNSO -at- SLC -dot- UNISYSGSG -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 08:52:00 MST

Jim,

I've written with everything from a #3 Faber Castell to Unix vi. I've used
Wangs, CP/M machines, PCs and Selectrics. I used to stand in awe of Frame
and Word wizards, but found out I could be pretty good at most anything if
I gave it my full attention for a week to ten days. I think anybody can do
that with a little grit and determination.

The real challenge in my career has been learning to write well and meeting
impossible deadlines. Staying focused when I'm in a long, boring table is
still a big challenge. Learning to deal with difficult people is also a
significant part of the job. If you learn these skills, you've got it made
(MHO). If you give it all you've got when you're in the trenches, the rest
seems to fall into place.

BTW, the University bookstore is a good place to get deals on software. At
least that's the case here in Utah.

I agree with your friend that Word and Framemaker are two important
programs. But the minute you buy one of these packages, you're going to
find you have the wrong tool for your next assignment.

Every bit of software I know I learned on the job. So far, I have been able
to convince prospective employers to let me ramp up on my own. I take the
book home, stay after work, talk to other writers when I'm in a jam, etc.
It's stressful. But it's cheap, fast and practical.

It's hard to sink when you're swimming like mad.

I wish you well .

michaelc_johnson -at- email -dot- state -dot- ut -dot- us

----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: WP software???
Date: Saturday, February 18, 1995 11:02AM

I'm interested in Tech. Writing as a possible career choice, taking a class
and practice-writing a manual. My question:

I write on a Mac, but a TW friend told me that 90% of the writing for TW is
done on PC platform, so I'm at a disadvantage if I don't switch platforms.
Also, he suggests I learn to use either Word 6.0 or Framemaker.

The problem is that any of the above steps would cost hundreds or even
thousands of dollars! I also do a little DTP - a soccer newsletter for my
club - and I'd like a software package that can handle a little bit of that,
too. For that reason, I'm leaning toward Word. (But do I spend the $300 on
Mac software if I really NEED to be writing in PC format!?!?
Help!
Jim :-Q (and I don't even smoke!)