Project management software

Subject: Project management software
From: Emily Skarzenski <71220 -dot- 341 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 12:58:03 EST

Michael Hacker wrote:

>>>Where I work we're using MS Project, which I always approach with a whip and
a chair. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Macintosh-based product that is
geared for technical writing groups? It seems to me that JoAnn Hackos developed
a product, but I don't know if it's still available or if other people found it
useful.<<<

I, too, am becoming interested in project management software. Originally, when
I was a one-person department, I simply kept a detailed to-do list in Lotus
Organizer and MS Word. However, my staff and workload are growing, and I'm
wondering if I should consider project management software.

I asked my boss about it (he's not a writer-type), and he said that packages
like Microsoft Project are more trouble than they're worth unless you're
planning large-scale projects that involve lots of people. It's true that I
don't need a really complex package (at least not at this point), and if he's
right, I certainly don't want to spend the money or effort on an MS Project-type
application.

Does anybody know of anything simpler and cheaper (maybe even shareware?) for
doing light project scheduling and tracking? Or any good ideas for organizing
the same type of system in a word processor or spreadsheet?

I'd be grateful for any advice you can give.

Emily Skarzenski
Head Technical Writer
Fastech, Inc. - Broomall, PA
71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com