Re: Project management software

Subject: Re: Project management software
From: Barb Miller <millerb -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 07:57:18 MST

Emily Skarzenski wrote:

I asked my boss about it (he's not a writer-type), and he said that packages
like Microsoft Project are more trouble than they're worth unless you're
planning large-scale projects that involve lots of people. It's true that I
don't need a really complex package (at least not at this point), and if he's
right, I certainly don't want to spend the money or effort on an MS Project-type
application.

Does anybody know of anything simpler and cheaper (maybe even shareware?) for
doing light project scheduling and tracking? Or any good ideas for organizing
the same type of system in a word processor or spreadsheet?

I use GanttChart put out by Prisma Software. It was $59. It is really
simple. You can maintain a task list and produce a Gantt chart showing
milestones, etc. You can also customize it to suit your needs.

Disadvantages: Manual is minimal, and there's practically no customer
support.

Call (319) 266-0743. Seems like I called an 800 number to order, but
the manual only lists the 319 number.

Good luck!

Barb Miller
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
millerb -at- tcplink -dot- nrel -dot- gov
I'd be grateful for any advice you can give.

Emily Skarzenski
Head Technical Writer
Fastech, Inc. - Broomall, PA
71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com