Re: Left hand side ...

Subject: Re: Left hand side ...
From: Michele Berkes <Michele_Berkes -at- CCMAIL -dot- OSTI -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 17:30:00 -0400

Hi all! I've stayed out of the fray for a while, but I just had
to share an experience from this weekend. My husband and I were
driving through the city on the interstate. We were trapped in
the left lane behind some people from out of town who were not
going fast enough to suit my husband. As any good driver would,
he started talking to the folks in the other car under his
breath. When he muttered "Just get in the right lane!" I found
myself wondering if he meant right as in correct or as in
location to our right. (Actually, I'm sure he meant both.) Makes
me think we run the risk of introducing ambiguity when we take
out the "-hand" of "right-hand" whatever. Something to watch
for, at least.

FWIW,

Michele Berkes
Writer/Editor
Labat-Anderson Incorporated, Oak Ridge, TN