Re: Whose Fault is the Bandwidth Expended Over Ads?

Subject: Re: Whose Fault is the Bandwidth Expended Over Ads?
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 08:49:56 +0001

Richard Lippincott wrote about the possibility of government regulation
of the net.

My comments, FWIW <soapbox warning>:

The thought of a government agency regulating the net HAS occurred to me.
It's both ironic (since it started with a govt. agency) and frightening
(given the current bent of congress toward mind control).

American netters have to be mindful of the ongoing assault on the Bill of
Rights. Congress is currently considering gutting the Fourth Amendment
(protection againsts unwarranted search and seizure). What's next?

Since this IS the "real" Washington's Birthday, maybe we should give some
serious thought to what the founders did and why, when they set up this
government. As professional communicators, we need to be mindful - and,
if necessary, vocal - about protecting our basic rights.

Sobering thoughts.

<end of soapbox>

Marguerite