Tech Writing Problems

Subject: Tech Writing Problems
From: David Dubin <David_Dubin -at- NOTES -dot- PW -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 08:54:50 PST

Herman Holtz said he was interested in "starting a thread here of the most
common and most difficult problems tech writers encounter and must overcome."
Let me be one of the first to provide a problem which many of us face, but
which few conquer; that of a manager who has no knowledge or background in
anything closely related to writing or training but who feels s/he has the
solution to all our documentational problems. I find that this single problem
is one of the most severe detriments to the production of quality
documentation. You know, a manager who says no editor is necessary, just a
peer review of the work and who prohibits STC members from attending the
annual conferences because there is nothing to be gained from them to offset
the costs. People like that.

David Dubin
This has been one man's opinion, yours may vary with mileage, age, or
disposition.