Gauging Competency in Technical Writers

Subject: Gauging Competency in Technical Writers
From: "USA::MU17692" <MU17692%USA -dot- decnet -at- USAV01 -dot- GLAXO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 20:24:00 EST

My esteemed colleagues,

As many have pointed out, we have already discussed this
issue of gauging competency in prospective technical
writer employees. However, because it hits many of us
where it hurts most: in the pocket book and ego, it
draws a great deal of attention on TECHWR-L.

I repeat what I said before: STC, or some other credible
organization, should administer voluntary, standardized
testing for the various areas of technical writing
skills. The American Medical Writers Assocation offers
such courses and exams. This approach would give
companies reassurance without the liability.

-Mike Uhl (uhl~m -at- glaxo -dot- com)
Glaxo Inc. Research Institute
Research Triangle Park, NC